Skip to main content

Admissions FAQ

Applying for a course can be a complicated process – below are a collection of our most frequently asked questions. If you still have questions after reading this page, please get in touch with our Admissions Team.

I didn’t meet the minimum entry requirements – what do I do?

If you have been made an offer for one of our courses and have failed to meet the conditions of your offer, you will need to call our Admissions department on 0161 214 4602 to discuss your application.

If you haven’t applied yet and have found a course you like, but don’t think you meet the entry requirements, you should call our Admissions Team on 0161 214 4602 to see if there is anything we can do. It may still be worth you applying for the course if you haven’t missed the requirements by much, or if you have a lot of experience in your chosen area of study.

I’m a mature student without any formal qualifications; can I study on a degree course?

A mature student is someone who is 21 or over, and may not have the necessary qualifications to start the course, however, your past work and life experiences may be enough for you to apply – if you’re unsure make sure you get in touch before you send your application.

How will I fund my course?

Students on a degree course are eligible to apply for funding through the SLC. For more information, visit the Tuition Fees page.

Do you accept deferred applications?

Yes, Futureworks is happy to accept deferred applications to our Degree Programmes.

Applicants are able to defer their application for 1 year. This means that an applicant is able to apply for the following year of study on application.

Additionally, an applicant with an offer of study can defer their place to the next year. Please contact us if you have an offer and would like to defer your place [email protected]  

My application hasn’t been successful and I would like to appeal – what do I need to do?

If you’ve applied for one of our courses but haven’t been successful, whether this is pre or post interview, or even if you have not met the conditions of your offer and have been told we can’t offer you a place, then you may submit an appeal, in writing, which should be sent to our Admissions department here: [email protected]

Where will I be studying?

All students will study at our Riverside site on New Bailey Street, a great location just on the border between Manchester and Salford.

If you are a student in our School of Film, Television and Media or a BA (Hons) Digital Animation with Illustration student, some of your lessons will take place at Futureworks Studios which is located on Broadway in the exciting MediaCityUK complex.

Do you accept applications from international or EU students?

We are able to accept applications from students with Dual Nationality (UK + other) and anyone with indefinite leave to remain, pre-settled or settled status. We will ask you to provide evidence of your status on application. You will not be permitted to start your course without showing evidence of your status and a valid photo ID.

We are able to accept applications from students requiring a Student Visa (previously Tier 4) and to sponsor students or issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) which agrees to sponsorship. Please see International students (Link) for full details.

You cannot use a visitor visa to study a degree programme so you must not enter the UK as a visitor then switch into the student route as it is not permitted under the immigration rules. Please note you are also not permitted to study with a graduate visa.

It is your responsibility to make sure that you are complying with the immigration rules at all times.

If you are an Irish citizen and you want to study in the UK, you do not need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme as your rights to live, work and access public services in the UK remain under the Common Travel Area arrangement. You will need to provide evidence of a valid photo ID on enrolment.

The same applies for anyone from the Crown Dependencies – Channel Islands & Isle of Man.

See more information on our International Students page.

What is the difference between your degrees and diplomas?

Knowing which type of course is right for you is a big step in your application process. In basic terms, a Degree gets you a traditional, academically-recognised qualification whereas with a Diploma you’ll achieve an industry-focused professional certificate. When applying for jobs in Film, TV, Audio and Games it’s less your qualification and more your evidence of experience that’s recognised, and whichever type of course you choose, you’ll build up a great portfolio of work to take to job interviews. Whether you should enrol on a Degree or Diploma is really down to your personal preferences and lifestyle.

Degrees provide a broader educational experience than a Diploma, with the necessary academic rigour to ensure your BA or BSc is recognised the world over. Diplomas focus on the more practical, hands-on side of the path you’re choosing. Our Diplomas are taught on a part-time basis, and classes are held in the evening, so you may be able to maintain your job or other weekday commitments. For many, the deciding factor is that while Degree applicants are eligible to go through the Student Finance route, Diploma applicants are responsible for their own funding. We have provided more information about funding on our Tuition Fees page.

Do you have a Student Protection Plan?

Futureworks maintains a Student Protection Plan which has been approved by the Office for Students. The plan sets out the actions Futureworks will take, in co-ordination with its validating partner, the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), to ensure that students are protected in the event of a material change to Futureworks’ operations.

A material change may include the decision to close one or more courses, or a decision to cease operations altogether. A material change may, however, be triggered by decisions taken outside of Futureworks control, such as loss of designation/registered status with the Office for Students, or the decision by a validating partner to not renew the delivery one or more courses.

You can download a copy of the plan here.

Do you have a Privacy Notice for applicants?

Yes, you can view this here.


If you have further questions please contact our Admissions Team on 0161 214 4602 or email [email protected]

You can also use our Contact Form and we will get back to you soon.