Skip to main content

University Education For The Creative Industries

What Uni? Student Choice Awards 2020

Disability support

Futureworks is committed to the pursuit of academic excellence, to equality of opportunity and to a pro-active and inclusive approach to equality. We aim to foster a culture which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes inclusion, and values diversity.

Tell us about yourself and your disability

If you have a disability, health condition or learning difficulty we encourage you to disclose this to us at your earliest opportunity. Once we are aware of your specific needs we can work together with you to ensure that any adjustments that are required can be put in place.

We can also advise and guide you through the process of applying for Disabled Students’ Allowance which, if you are eligible, may offer further funding for specialist equipment and help whilst you are studying with us.

Arranging appropriate individual disability support depends first of all on you telling us about your circumstances and needs. Evidence of your disability is required before adjustments can be made. The evidence required depends on your disability. The Student Services department can advise you on what you need to provide for disability-related evidence.

We understand that disclosing your disability will involve sensitive information and we have procedures in place to make sure all personal information about you and your disability is secure.

After you have told us about your disability, we will make every effort to make sure that you will not be at a disadvantage because of your disability.

Sometimes, for your benefit, we may need to share some of the information relating to your disability with others, such as a partner university. This will only happen if you have agreed to let us do so.

If you want everything about your disability to be confidential, i.e. the information is made available to student services and nobody else – this can be arranged; however, this could make it difficult to assess your needs, and difficult to make the adjustments you might need within your lessons. You should talk to a member of the student services team to discuss how we should handle information about your disability.

Disabled Students Allowance

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a:

  • disability
  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia

The support you get depends on your individual needs and is in addition to any other student finance which you may apply for such as tuition fee or maintenance loans. You can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, like computer software
  • non-medical helpers, like a note-taker or reader
  • extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability
  • other costs, like photocopying

DSAs don’t cover disability-related costs you’d have if you weren’t attending a course, or costs that any student might have.

If you have a disability and would like to apply for DSA our Student Services department can guide you through the process. You can also find additional information regarding the process here.