Skip to main content

University Education For The Creative Industries

What Uni? Student Choice Awards 2020

European Union FAQ

The EU referendum and Futureworks

update December 2020

The UK left the European Union on 31 January 2020. We are now in an implementation period that will end on 31 December 2020. The UK government are in discussions with the EU about the terms of the new legal and trading relationship which will come into effect from 31st December 2020 when the current Brexit transition period ends. It is not known at this point whether a deal will be agreed or on what terms it would be based.


What do our students need to do?

We would like to advise our EU, EEA and Swiss students that you may need to act now to continue living and studying in the UK. We recommend that you apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you are eligible.
Please visit for government website for the latest information on the scheme and also to apply
How Brexit impacts you will depend on when you came to the UK.

Why should I apply to the settlement scheme?

How Brexit impacts you will depend on when you came to the UK. You may need to have Settled Status to continue living and studying in the UK. It is vital you check the status of yourself and your family.
Settled Status also means:
• No expensive visa fees
• No restrictions on study
• Access to health care
• Qualifying family members can apply

Who needs to do this?

• If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen*
• If you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, but your family member is (or is an eligible person of Northern Ireland)
• If you have a dual EU + international visa

*The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

This means you need to apply even if you:
• were born in the UK but are not a British citizen – you can check if you’re a British citizen if you’re not sure
• have a UK ‘permanent residence document’
• are a family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who does not need to apply – including if they’re from Ireland
• are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen with a British citizen family member

If you have children, you need to apply for them separately.

Who doesn’t need to do this?

You do not need to apply if you have indefinite leave to remain or if you are an Irish citizen.
Please check your individual residency status if you are not sure.

What happens if I don’t apply?

If you don’t apply by the deadline you will have to pay significant fees and may not be able to continue to study in the UK.

How much does it cost?

It’s free to apply.

What do I need to do to apply?

• an identity document – your passport, national identity card, biometric residence card or permit
• a digital photo – you can take a selfie during the application
• your National Insurance number or proof of how long you’ve lived in the UK
• a mobile phone number
• an email address

• proof of your relationship if you’re applying for a child or another family member

Here are some additional useful sites:
Step by step guide to EU settled status:
Brexit checker to get a personalised list of actions:
Information specifically for students:–Advice/EU-EEA–Swiss-Students/Brexit—immigration

Funding for EU students

Existing EU students who are currently in Higher Education or have started in the 2020/21 academic year, and who are eligible to receive loans and/or grants from the Student Loans Company will continue to remain eligible until they finish their course, providing they meet existing residency requirements.
More information about student funding for EU students can be found here:

For information about Student Finance please contact our Finance team at Futureworks by emailing

Support at Futureworks for EU students

The Home Office has reported a significant increase in racist or religious abuse incidents recorded by police in England and Wales in the immediate months after the referendum and recorded incidents have remained at a higher level than pre-referendum.
Any such abuse will not be tolerated at Futureworks. Should a student experience any form of harassment, racist or religious abuse from a member of the Futureworks community, they are urged to make a complaint under the Student Harassment Policy.
If a student experiences harassment or abuse outside of Futureworks, we recommend they follow the guidance issued by the UK Equality and Human Rights Commission:

For support for students who have experienced harassment please contact Student Services at Futureworks by emailing

Key information & actions

• Check your residency status
• Check the residency status of family members
• Apply for the EU Settlement Scheme if necessary
• Do the above by December 31st 2020